Sharing some candy with friends took an unexpected turn after a fourth-grade student handed out cannabis candy to her classmates at recess.
The student shared edibles that resembled Skittles with other students at Michael J. Castori Elementary School in Sacramento, California. It’s reported that several students ate the edible candies.
Families of the students that ate the edibles were called while the school nurse and paramedics evaluated the students. None of the students were hospitalized but one mother did bring her child to a local hospital to ensure everything was okay.
“It’s really worrisome for me because how many other children are out there making this mistake?” said Veronica Hernandez, the mother of a student who took the edible.
The school said it has spoken to the family of the student who handed out the cannabis “Zkittlez” and is investigating what happened. “It is my goal to ensure that our students are safe, and we are truly sorry this incident happened,” Principal Leslie Sargent said in a letter to families.
It’s unclear as to how many milligrams of THC are in one Zkittlez and how many students ate the edibles. Parents were advised to keep an eye on their children and to call their local doctors if their child does experience worsening symptoms.
“To ensure this does not happen again, school administration at Castori Elementary is reminding students not to bring candy to school and not to share food with others,” the Twin Rivers Unified School District in a statement.