Most couples celebrate their engagement in glamourous fashion, not inspecting puppy poo. Elayna Rattenbury, found herself searching through piles upon piles of doggy doo-doo to recover her engagement ring.
Stevie, the pup in question, swallowed the engagement ring after getting ahold of the tissue box on the same bedside table where the ring was sitting.
Rattenbury said: “I’d left the bedroom door open and Stevie had sneaked in and she has a real thing for tissues.
“When Dave went back in there were tissues everywhere which Stevie had grabbed from a tissue box from the same bedside table where I’d put my engagement ring.
“I went to see the mess she’d caused and immediately realized the ring was not there. It was a heart-stopping moment.
“Then I looked at Stevie and thought, ‘She hasn’t, surely she hasn’t?’ But oh yes, she had.”
The couple took their mischievous pooch to the Linnaeus-owned Brentknoll Veterinary Centre in Worcester, which only confirmed their fears. An X-ray revealed the ring was stuck inside the seven-month-old’s belly. The vet advised them to “let nature take its course,” which is how Rattenbury spent four treacherous days using a metal detector to look through Stevie’s poo.
With multiple poo bags checked and an experience she’ll never forget, Rattenbury was reunited with the ring. It needed a good scrubbing to get cleaned up, but the ring now sits in its rightful place.
The 38-year-old recounted the four long days: “I’d expected to find it in the first 24 hours, so by day three I was thinking I must have missed it and started searching back through the poo bags from previous days.
“My husband Dave even bought a metal detector to try to find it and then, thankfully, on day four, it finally appeared.
“It obviously wasn’t looking its best, so I put it into a tub of hot soapy water for two days and every few hours I was taking it out, rinsing it, scrubbing it with a toothbrush and then putting it back in to soak.
“It certainly needed a good soaking and scrubbing before I dared even smell it, let alone put it back on.”